Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Reflection on Gothic Literature

To be completely honest, I was a bit skeptical going into this class because I didn't know much about gothic literature and I assumed the readings would be boring. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The more I learned about how to analyze the different texts, finding their underlying messages and symbolism, the more interesting the readings became. At the beginning of the course, some of the symbolism would fly over my head, and I would get lost in the plots. After reviewing the basic characteristics of gothic literature, you start to appreciate each text more because you realize how much thought went into every single word. Every description, character, dialogue contributed to the gothic genre.



I don't think I would change any of the readings. The movies were especially beneficial because they not only broke up the reading, but it was interesting to see the gothic genre in modern day film. I liked the concept of blogging, but at times it was a lot of work, espcially responding to everyone's blogs. Other than that, I thought this was a great class! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment